Parish Social Worker
My name is Patti Kelly and I am your Parish Social Worker. I am available to assist with questions or needs you have in a variety of different areas including mental health, access to health care, care for Senior Citizens, stress management, and more. Check out the resources I have compiled below. Additionally, I can help you plan "next steps" and where to turn for resources. If you, a family member or a friend needs assistance or you're not sure where to turn for help, please contact me at 734-464-1222, ext. 301 or by email at email@example.com. I'm happy to help and look forward to connecting with you.
Building Resilience in Children
Are you concerned about your child's wellbeing in a world full of challenges? In this video, Patti Kelly, St. Edith Parish Social Worker, shares with you the science-backed strategies for building resilience in children. Learn how to help them develop the skills to cope with difficult emotions and stay positive through trying times. Discover why it's important to cultivate resilience in children as early as possible and make sure they have a strong foundation for a successful future!
Building Resilience in Children Resources:
- Official website of the American Academy of Pediatrics; excellent resource on child development, health, and wellness topics
- Childhood 101; Numerous free resources to promote social emotional learning in children of all ages
- Truth Be Told Quotes; Free, printable coloring and journaling pages
- Michigan State University Extension Early Childhood Development; Connect to research and evidence-based programming for parents and caregivers to enhance children’s skills; Free webinars and on-demand videos and articles
- Official Sesame Street website; includes resources (videos, printables, articles, etc.) on a number of different topics including cultivating confidence, practicing patience, exploring emotions, etc.
- Free Coping Skills Kids Checklist
- Free printable daily feelings log
- Center on the Developing Child; Downloadable guide describes a variety of activities and games that represent age-appropriate ways for adults to support and strengthen various components of Executive Function and Self Regulation with children from infancy to adolescence.
Additional Examples of Situations Where Patti May be Able to Help!
- Connecting Seniors to resources such as transportation, home help, and food assistance
- Obtaining health insurance and prescription assistance for eligible families
- Locating social opportunities and supportive services for an adult child with developmental disabilities
- Learning how to support family members with mental health issues and knowing what resources exist for both the individual and the family
- Connecting individuals and families to ongoing programs to assist with food, rent, utilities, legal aid, and other needs
- Sharing resources, including referrals for counseling, on management of stress, anxiety, depression, grief, and other issues
If you are having a mental health or medical emergency or are in crisis, go to your nearest Hospital Emergency Room or call 911 immediately.